Friday, July 19, 2019

Time for Self Care

I was shopping on Etsy and stumbled onto Caylin Perry Art and Design and decided to order her Surprise Self Care Box just for me. I've been feeling crappy about myself these past few months. Putting on weight and avoiding anyone that hasn't seen me in a while for fear of what they'll think. I'm over-spending, over-eating, and sinking deeper into sadness and disappointment. I'm prone to bad depressions but try to appear positive and joyful. Usually I can weather the storms, but looking this way, looking as my-not-so-ideal self is just making me slip further into crappiness. So I thought, what's another forty bucks. I love getting packages in the mail and opening this, taking my time, and not knowing what to expect (other than a mug) was like unwrapping the goodies buried in my Christmas stocking. I including the following information, as the seller, Caylin Yorba-Ruiz, asked to Add your personalization: Please include the recipients names, favorite colors, or favorite things! and so I told her: Star (it's for me!) - colour: green - fave things? bearded men (lol), books!, stars, animals, 1980s art world, vintage fashions (all eras, pretty much) old TV shows (Hart to Hart, Rockford Files), oh, and writing. This is what I received:




















I loved that the face mask was cruelty free and the candle was soy based; the pencil read Hello Gorgeous which is a line from Funny Girl, a movie I was obsessed with in high school and still love to this day; I have a decent collection of cute lil' notebooks and the floral spiral bound was a fine addition; I'm essentially a large child, and so the colouring pages made me super happy, especially the quote from dear Oscar Wilde; I love tea, and the flavours she selected were great choices, and the tiny booklet of helpful hints for managing depression was so thoughtful (I had said in a side comment: Hello! I've been a bit depressed lately and have decided to treat myself (like on Parks and Recreation) to a self-care box of goodies just for me. I think this is a brilliant creation on your part and reading the reviews, you should be very proud of yourself for spreading some joy around.). The socks are adorable; the mug is massive and I really like the shape and that my name is in green. The only thing that was less than perfect was that the "t" wasn't all the way stuck on the mug, so I won't be using it to drink from, which stinks. But I cleaned it, Gorilla Glued the "t" down (not terribly successfully) and will just use it at my personal office desk for little odds and ends. And if I'm being super nit-picky, the frame-able artwork: "Stay Close to People Who Feel Like Sunlight" was bent in order to fit in the box and has a permanent crease in it. I had planned to frame it and give it to Kayla, who is radiant sunshine in human form, but it's too messed up. All in all, I would absolutely recommend Caylin's Self Care box because it was so much fun to receive and not know what was in store. I'd imagine it would make a great gift for someone that needs cheering up (divorce, illness, death of a pet, friend, family member, or someone just going through a tough time), or even a birthday gift, graduation, whatever! It definitely put a smile on my crazy ole face.

No comments: