Saturday, July 27, 2019

June 2019 Books

Complex 90 ¹ by Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins - The only good thing about this book was listening to Stacy Keach. This was the first Mike Hammer book that I really just did not like. But I won't give up on him! (Worth noting was the description of "a tall blonde agent in his early 30s": "He had that kind of blandly handsome face that didn't look like it had had much use." HA!)

Here Is New York ¹ by E.B. White
The Lottery and Seven Other Stories ¹ by Shirley Jackson
* The Rainbow Comes and Goes ¹ by Gloria Vanderbilt and Anderson Cooper
Beezuz and Ramona ¹ by Beverly Cleary
* Mr. Know-It-All - The Tarnished Wisdom of a Filth Elder ¹ by John Waters - I adore this man, there's no getting around that, and I was thrilled to receive my hardback copy (signed - thank you Atomic Books!) and even more excited to listen to the audiobook version, which I purchased off Audible. A lot of what was in this book I already knew from seeing interviews, going to his live shows, and reading his other books, but it was still great fun to listen to JW tell me all that he knows!

* The Body ¹ by Stephen King - I saw Stand By Me when I was about eleven. Aunt Berne forgot that the film was rated R and not acceptable for the eleven and thirteen year olds who were never permitted to watch films outside of the proper age range. The only things I really remember about this movie was Chris, River Phoenix's character, my being grossed out to the max over the pie eating and barfing scene, and then the two new words I learned: balls (as in the command to that junkyard dog: "Sick balls") and tits (Kiefer Sutherland, who was loathsome in his role, to say the least, talked about a girl only letting him grab her tits). To this day I really do not care for either of those words. Then there was the leech scene which scarred me for life. I had seen The African Queen years before and if something could make Bogie shake with fear, I instantly intuited that leeches were terrifying. If memory serves, the night we watched Stand By Me I couldn't fall asleep and walked downstairs to my mother, who was surprised at my being up so late, and told her with complete seriousness that I thought there was a leech on my balls. Ah, youth and ignorance. Anyways, I summoned my courage this month and listened to The Body. All the boys seemed to have lousy families so this book was far from a feel good read, but good writing is good writing. King's stories may not always be my proverbial cup of tea, but the man can tell a tale like no other.

Murder at the Vicarage ¹ by Agatha Christie - Meh. Miss Marple is kinda dull and Richard E. Grant's narration was the only thing that made me listen til the end.

1922 ¹ by Stephen King - This Stephen King story was mega depressing. The cow falling into the well was almost too much for me, but I listened to the end. Eh. Next time I'll stop when I want to and be totes okay with throwing in the towel.
We Have Always Lived in the Castle ¹ by Shirley Jackson - Try as I might, I just really don't like Shirley Jackson's stories.
The Magician's Nephew ¹ by C.S. Lewis
♥ The Garner Files by James Garner - When I first read Jim's book I hadn't seen Rockford or Maverick. I thought it was time to give it another read and it was so much better this time around. When he mentions Stuart or Luis or Jack Garner I know exactly who he's talking about and can see their faces in my mind's eye.
* Julia Child: A Life ¹ by Julia Child and Alex Prud'homme - This was a wonderful book that spanned the life of a fascinating woman, however I do not agree with her love of foie gras, which is as revolting as shark fin soup and veal, and all should be outlawed.
♥ Part Swan, Part Goose: An Uncommon Memoir of Womanhood, Work, and Family ¹ by Swoosie Kurtz - Swoosie is one of those gals that you see at every turn. She is so fresh and talented and I've loved every role I've ever seen her in. Her memoir was engrossing and absolutely worth buying so as to listen to again and again.

♥ Alanatomy ¹ by Alan Carr - Anyone who has seen Chatty Man instantly wishes to be besties with this adorable man. He did a fantastic job as narrator and, like John Waters, it's as though he's telling you a story and not reading from a stack of pages in a recording booth.

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: