Friday, June 21, 2019

May 2019 Books

* By Myself and Then Some ¹ ² by Lauren Bacall - Would have liked this to be unabridged, but it was still a treat to hear Ms. Bacall read to me and remind me of things I'd read in her exceptional book Now.
♥ Unsinkable ¹ by Debbie Reynolds - Fabulous autobiography and Debbie was outstanding to listen to. What a talent and what an absolute doll.
* The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up ¹ by Marie Kondo - I am still daydreaming about the Fall and how I plan to Marie Kondo the shit out of my place!
Signifying Rappers ¹ by David Foster Wallace
* Wishful Drinking ¹ by Carrie Fisher

* On Tennis ¹ by David Foster Wallace
* The Naked Face by Sidney Sheldon
♥ Bad Dad by David Wallaims
♥ Murder Never Knocks ¹ by Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins - Oh this was such a great Mike Hammer book! I loved driving around at night, alone, just me and Stacy Keach's knee-weakening voice telling me all about Hammer and Velda, dodging bullets, rescuing dolls and dames, and taking down the bad guys.
* Elevation by Stephen King - Pax loaned me this novella and it was an unexpected treat, as well as my first Stephen King book. More from that author to come, that's for sure.
Ghost Buddy: Mind If I Read Your Mind ¹ by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver
* Ghost Buddy: How to Scare Your Pets ¹ by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver
* The Seven Spiritual Laws to Success ¹ by Deepak Chopra - I liked what Deepak Chopra said so much that I bought a copy of the book to go over and make notes and turn words into action and try to better my little bitty life.
Kill Me, Darling ¹ by Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption ¹ by Stephen King - Fantastic, except for the rape scenes, which I knew were coming and just jumped ahead, and the film did it justice. Just a wonderful, wonderful story.
* Bogart: In Search of My Father ¹ by Stephen Bogart - Would have liked to have Stephen read his book, but the narrator did a flawless job and the story of Little Stevie and Noël Coward cracked me up. (For those of you not in the know, when Steve was four he, according to onlooker David Niven, snuck up behind Noël and cracked him on the back of the head with a tray. Noël didn't react, didn't turn around, just looked to Bogart and said (if memory serves) "Bogie, darling, I know what I'll get little Stevie for Christmas. A chocolate covered grenade.")
* The Night Listener by Armistead Maupin - Good. Not superb or anything, but definitely a page turner that held my interest. (The movie was a bit of a disappointment and I'm glad I read the book first.)
A Single Man ¹ by Christopher Isherwood - I couldn't wait for this to end. I was bored beyond belief.
♥ Hank Zipzer: Niagara Falls, or Does It? ¹ by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver - I want every single audiobook that Henry Winkler reads because he cracks me the hell up. Oh, and his books (along with co-author Lin Oliver) bring me such joy.
* F**k: An Irreverent History of the F- Word ¹ by Rufus Lodge - This book was beautifully read by Richard E. Grant (who I've made a mental note of his name and face and followed him since 1992 when he was in The Player) and was super interesting and pretty funny at times.

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: