Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Midnight Lace

When I was in high school and we finally got cable, I became obsessed with AMC - American Movie Classics. I had a wall calendar with all the films that I wanted to check out. The best way to do this was to choose the ones on after midnight so that I could program the VCR and it wouldn't interfere with what any other family members wanted to watch. One of those films was Midnight Lace. I was probably about seventeen. It was a Saturday morning and my brothers and father were nowhere to be found. That meant it was time to grab a plate of grub, flop down on that old navy blue plaid sofa, under the green and cream coloured zig-zag Afghan and pop in last night's flick. Mama Rose was in the laundry room, switching the clothes from the washer into the dryer when she hollered in, "Whatcha watchin'?" Doris Day had just found her way home through the fog, into her flat and husband Rex Harrison's loving embrace. "It's Midnight Lace," I yelled back. "Oh! Can you believe _________ did it?" Are you freakin' kidding me, Mom!!! I wasn't super pissed, actually, it was kind of funny. Years and years later we watched Sean Connery and Gena Rowlands have virtually the same interaction in Playing By Heart. This time around I really could appreciate how good Doris Day was and how smokin' hot John Gavin was! Definitely a great film to watch on a Saturday with your Mom. Even if she spoils the ending.

(photo kidnapped from pinterest)

No comments: