Saturday, August 11, 2018

Partners in Crime

In this post I'm referring to the Brit TV show, not the 1980s Lynda Carter/Loni Anderson vehicle. (But, believe you me, if I could find that on DVD, I would certainly buy a copy and review it for y'all.) Alas, this post is about the David Walliams/Jessica Raine 2015 series. I am three eps in, so that means I've finished the first story in the series, and I've got disc two coming up next. The second episode had me pressing fast forward a bit when the suspense was annoying and I just wanted to get to the bit where I was certain all was well for our leading man. Aside from that part and well, the fact that Walliams and Raine seem more like brother and sister than spouses, I am really enjoying the show. Especially the fab costumes and Clarke Peters playing Julius. He was the best. I loved his lush voice, dapper duds, hep cat 'do, and just his entire performance. In looking through his filmography I've seen him in several things, but didn't make a note of his name til now. I read some reviews on Netflix and IMDb about the show and most were pretty brutal. I had never seen the original series or read any Agatha Christie novels (ooo! sidebar....maybe I should look up some Christie audiobooks....) so I went into this show with a clean slate and zero expectations. Regardless, I'm glad I watched it and I'm looking forward to the final three episodes.

(photo kidnapped from bbc.co.uk)

(photo kidnapped from radiotimes)
(ps - The second story was super annoying - they were utterly inept at deception. At one point they are supposed to be whispering and were speaking so loud it was unbelievable. I mean, I would make a better spy than these two. It was a nice try for a series, but that last story is clearly why it was not picked up for more.)

No comments: