Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Daredevil

After finishing Jessica Jones I followed it up with Daredevil, since Jaeden pretty much told me I had to see it. I'm halfway through season one and I do like it, but I'm not crazy about the excessive and frankly, often gratuitous, violence. Especially towards women. I get that it is a story and violence is a part of that, I just don't appreciate seeing women tied to chairs and beaten to within an inch of their lives. I don't care for it regardless of the recipient being male or female, but with so many images everywhere that seem to glorify violence to women, or at the very least have them degraded in one way or another, as if that's just part of the culture and everyone kind of accepts it, I really doubt I'll watch the second season. However, that first dinner scene with Vincent D'Onofrio at the restaurant with the art dealer? Man....totally swoon-worthy. When he called her captivating I literally sighed aloud. But then not ten minutes later he beat the daylights out of some guy so badly that I had to fast forward through it cause it made me sorta sick. I mean, it was beyond over-the-top. Ya know there are plenty of ways to let an audience know that someone is a bad guy; we don't always need to see it. Made me feel like the makers of the show think that the viewers are too dumb to catch on and therefore have to show crazy violent scenes so that we fully understand the depth of a character's madness. Guess what? They didn't.

No comments: