Monday, August 3, 2015

Seagulls Die in the Harbour


Meeuwen Sterven in de Haven was filmed in Antwerp in 1955, so clearly, I had to see it. I will sit through just about anything if there's even the slightest chance that I'll be able to catch a glimpse of my favourite city. Seagulls did not disappoint. Antwerp has clearly always been magnificent, but like a fine wine, it only gets better with each passing year. 


There were absolutely breathtaking shots of 't stad (the city), Linkeroever, the docks, and the streets, those beautiful, bumpy Antwerpen streets.


The cinematography reminded me of M and Pickup on South Street. You can tell that the filmmakers were inspired by film noir and definitely American music. The flashback moments, particularly those in the prison camp and in the dance hall were filmed (I thought) kind of like a stage play, with actors standing on their mark and remaining motionless. Only those that moved were the focus. It was so interesting and nearly hypnotic, laden with jazzy wartime music, heavy in bass, that played over the silent memories of the nameless man. Aside from a few blunt, sharp cuts from one scene to the next that were kind of jarring, it was stunning to watch from the first frame to the last.


The supporting cast was really good. I especially liked the gal from the boat, Erna, the Captain's lady played by Tine Balder. There was one scene where she is trying to seduce said nameless man and reaches the point where she can't take it anymore, and standing behind him, she grabs his hair and forces his head back then hits him with one of those hard smooches that one sees in old timey black and white flicks. She reminded me of Humphrey Bogart - it was that kind of a take charge, rough kiss. Steamy as hell. This is a gal that knows what she wants and threw all that 1950s ladylike behaviour out the proverbial window and went for it. Who could blame her? I mean, what gal can resist a tall, handsome, brooding, detached man who has clearly committed some sort of heinous crime?


Oh and the nameless man, Julien Schoenaerts, was excellent. I had previously only seen him in a few films, thanks primarily in part to his son, Matthias, who starred with him in Daens, and eLLektra, in which Julien appeared in an endearing cameo in the very last scene. But he really stood out in a short film Beauville, which I loved. (Sidebar, there is a scene in Beauville that takes place in a doctor's office where Julien's character is awaiting some test results. The door opens and the doctor steps in, seen from across the room. I instantly LOL'd and said, "Hey, look! It's the Belgian Richard Kind!" (I adore Richard Kind.) and then he spoke. In English. And it was Richard Kind!)  


Anyway, I thought Julien was so good, so real and true to life in this part and I wish more of his work was available for a strange girl in the States.

To sum up, Meeuwen Sterven in de Haven / Seagulls Die in the Harbour wasn't the most enthralling or riveting film ever created, mind you, but it's a slow build. Besides, I'm not one that needs to see shit blown up every five seconds or remain perched on the edge of my seat in suspense to enjoy a good film. And that's what this was, a solid, decent film that has exceptional acting, is gorgeously filmed, and set in Antwerp. If youse ask me, all signs point to perfection, kids. 


No comments: