Friday, August 7, 2015

Casting By

I first took note of the name Marion Dougherty when I was thirteen and watching Batman for the fourth time in my hometown's movie theatre. This was about the time in my life that I started to pay attention to directors and producers, screenwriters, costumers, and composers. If I saw that a film was directed by John Hughes, I knew I'd be in for a laugh and a life lesson. If a movie featured the music of John Barry, I knew it would be a film that would sweep me away from my everyday life and transport me somewhere I'd never been. After Batman, I kept noticing Marion's name and it got to where I would read in the opening credits "Casting by Marion Dougherty" and I'd settle back. I could relax because this was gonna be a film with some stellar acting. Marion Dougherty was the Edith Head of casting; she could do no wrong.

When I saw that someone had done a documentary on her I immediately hit Play (although, as per usual, I was late by three years). Tom Donahue's Casting By was spectacular (aside from Taylor Hackford's hurtful comments which made me angry and sad.). It was truly heart warming to see all those wonderful actors saying tender and loving things about Marion. Dontcha love when you like someone based solely on their work and then come to find out that they are the salt of the Earth and just an all-around fantastic person? Me too.


(photo kidnapped from jennreese)

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

Great documentary. She should've been allowed her Oscar.

Star said...

It was seriously criminal of them to snub her like that. But she had the love, respect and admiration of the biggest and most beloved actors ever. So, Marion won in the end. At least that's how I choose to see it.