Saturday, November 23, 2013

Frances Ha


(photo kidnapped from zekefilm)

I have admired and let's be honest here, adored Greta Gerwig since I saw her in Baghead back in 2009. Bishop's husband told me about the film and I always take him up on movie suggestions. I was not disappointed. I immediately looked for more films starring Ms. Gerwig as well those by the Duplass brothers.

It's so easy to like Greta because her performances are so real. Her characters are usually flawed and vulnerable and silly and sometimes embarrassingly awkward - ya know, kinda like an actual person. It's refreshing to watch her because of this, because it seems so rare that you see a movie and recognise the characteristics portrayed on the screen. So often I see women who are super tough or ridiculously perfect and who can identify with that? Greta's characters are real and that is so much more interesting.  

Frances Ha was visually stunning and beautifully acted and executed. The scene of her running through New York to David Bowie's Modern Love was certainly a standout moment. She's happy and feels secure and looks positively effervescent as she dances her way down the street. I just loved this film and I can't wait to see what Ms. Gerwig does next. Cheers, darlin'; you are wonderful!

No comments: