Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Varadero

Tonight at work I spoke with a lovely 83 year old woman who told me of a tranquil beach in Cuba called Varadero. She said it is the most beautiful place in the world. I immediately went to look up photographs of it and am so jealous that she saw this place in person. María had left Havana in 1960 to come to the US and has not been back since. Our conversation was the highlight of my dreary little day. (even in your dreams, have you ever imagined an ocean this colour??)

(photo kidnapped from pomalaza)

(photo kidnapped from worldcitypics)

(She even told me that her first car was a 1958 Pontiac Catalina, beige with a red top and two doors. "It was beautiful! But Fidel took it." She was a hoot!)

4 comments:

Cerpts said...

Absolutely exquisite. Yet one more place I'll never see. But right now I'd settle for a Cuban sandwich! That would look RIGHT beautiful! I'm starved!!!

Cerpts said...

Oh yes dahling, forgot to mensh . . . is that label for this post "Fabulous Places" in any way connected with a certain Bobby Darin song??? Do tell!

Star said...

hmm...i don't think i know that song...but i shall run and check it out immediately!

Cerpts said...

Bloody Nora! Methinks that song'll appear on a certain radio show before too long.