Sunday, October 30, 2022

Haunted Reads - October 2022

Ghost Buddy: From Zero to Hero ¹ by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver

♥ 'Salem's Lot ¹ by Stephen King - Every October I so love to revisit this brilliant, brilliant story. My memory isn't what it once was and there are so many moments I forget until I hear them again. King did an incredible job of setting up the characters so that you really care about them and even though I knew what I was getting in to, I still somehow believed that maybe it would turn out to be just a nice story about the inhabitants of this small New England town. Maybe this time around it'll all work out. But that's just never gonna happen. But even though the bad guy kills some wonderful characters and the ending isn't 100% happy-happy, as soon as it ends, I wanna play it all over again. Oh and Ron McLarty's narration? In a word, stupendous. I'm already looking forward to next October when I can relive it one more time.

♥ The Exorcist ¹ by William Peter Blatty

* Carrie ¹ by Stephen King - What the hell, let's put on another spooky tale by Stephen King that you know will be just enough scary to keep you from falling asleep at the wheel. I found myself driving around more and taking the longer way so as to listen to the incomparable Sissy Spacek tell me all about Carrie White. Even though I love 'Salem's Lot way more than this novel, I feel that Carrie is so beautiful because of how well King captured the thoughts, nervousness, anxiety, fear, and shame that women, and especially young women, often feel. 

* The Book of Joe ¹ by Vincent Price - In preparation for Vincent Price Day, I wanted to re-listen to Ms. Victoria Price read her father's book about his beloved dog, Joe. It's such a sweet book that gives great insight as to the real man that Vincent Price was. I'm looking forward to reading more of his books plus Ms. Price's bio of her father.

* Thinner ¹ by Stephen King - I decided to end October with one more King story. Thinner was new to me and it was so good! Kept me hooked the whole way through.

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: