Monday, December 30, 2019

November 2019 Books

* Murder on the Orient Express ¹ by Agatha Christie - I had read/listened to this book before when it was read by Kenneth Branagh and David Suchet's version was just as spell-binding. After reading a number of Christie's books, there's a reason this one is the most famous. It's her best. No one plays Hercule Poirot better than the relentlessly charming David Suchet.

* Veronica Mars: The Million Dollar Tan Line ¹ by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham - Having been a fan of the series I was super excited to hear Kristen Bell read a new story starring one of my favourite sleuths. The end sort of disappointed me but Bell's narration was fantastic.
* Death on the Nile ¹ by Agatha Christie - I really liked this book and could not stop listening to it until the end, which was a let down. But Mr. Suchet's narration kept me on a high for the whole day.

Don't Stop Believin' ¹ by Olivia Newton-John - Olivia Newton-John is a total sweetheart and that's made clear from her memoir. She comes across as really positive and down to earth.

Ayoade on Top ¹by Richard Ayoade 

♥ Untied ¹ by Meredith Baxter

♥ Around the World in Eighty Days ¹ by Jules Verne - I first listened to Jim Dale read this classic Jules Verne novel last November and needed to hear it again. Looking back at what I originally wrote: Jim Dale. He's one of the best in the biz and this story was an escape from reality and just so delivered a wonderful ending. I really, really liked it. I can say that it's still true the second time around. Such a wonderful book read by one of the best.

* Home ¹ by Julie Andrews - Finally got around to listening to Ms. Andrews memoir, which she read herself, and I genuinely liked it. Some people seemed disappointed that it covered just the first half of her life and ended just before she began work on Mary Poppins but I cleverly waited until her second book Home Work was released so I could listen to them back to back. Hearing about her childhood, teenage years, and early adulthood made me marvel at her ability to remain so poised and warm. Never letting a divorce, a crappy step-father, and other things that could have changed her for the worse, keep her from staying true to herself and rising above to become the gorgeous creature that the entire world simply adores.

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: