Monday, January 8, 2018

Low Budget Philanthopy

Last night at Bishop and Pax's for the Golden Globes, Pax told me of a fantastic idea he had. He and Bish had started to donate small amounts of money to local charities as well as bigger ones (such as sending aid to Puerto Rico, et cetera). He came up with the phrase Low Budget Philanthropy and I think it's brilliant. To get people involved in a small way by donating any amount to any charity or group. I mentioned that when I was unemployed I had gotten into the habit of donating twenty five bucks a payday to different charities. I had fallen out of this habit but among the many things on my To-Do in 2018 list was to get back into it. I think #LowBudgetPhilanthropy needs to become a real thing. A way to brag about how an individual made a small contribution for a bigger cause and in doing so to share with others the recipient of your bit of coin and maybe get more people on board with the groups that you support. In January I have down that I'll be donating to SPLC and About-Face.

- The Southern Poverty Law Center is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society. Using litigation, education, and other forms of advocacy, the SPLC works toward the day when the ideals of equal justice and equal opportunity will be a reality. 



- About-Face’s vision is for women and girls to lead full lives, unconstrained by a preoccupation with appearance and body image, and for media representations of women and girls to be gender-balanced or gender-neutral. 

To move toward our vision, About-Face improves girls’ and women’s self-esteem and body image through equipping them with tools to understand and resist harmful media messages. That is, we teach media literacy and a host of other life skills, as well as the skills to take action to make social change.

I'm all for standing up to hatred and to instilling strong values and positivity in young females, so these are two of my favourite groups to support!


Please join me in the Low Budget Philanthropy movement and help out your community and beyond in the simplest way - donating any amount to whatever charity or organisation that you care about!

No comments: