Friday, December 8, 2017

Positivity in Edinburgh

So I loathe to throw things away. I'm no good at letting go. That being said, I like Newman's Own peppermints but feel bad about tossing the tin in the trash. I started saving them in a canister in my kitchen, as hoarding them made me feel better then adding them to the local trash heap. Then I had a lil' idea. I decided to cut up coloured pieces of paper and stack them inside the tin. On the top piece were the words "you are..." and then each of the following would have a positive quality or attribute. I thought it would be a cute kind of art project for myself. I would then leave the tin in a public place for a stranger to find. The only rule I set for myself was that the tins had to be left in a gender neutral area, meaning I couldn't leave them in the ladies' loo. The first of the New Star Positivity tins was left on the window sill at the Edinburgh Bus Station on the 24th of November. It's my own tiny message in a bottle that I hope will brighten someone's day. Even if one of the words doesn't apply to that person (such as calm, patient, healthy...), perhaps reading it will act as an affirmation and they will one day be the very thing they felt they were not.


No comments: