Friday, December 27, 2013

The Muse


Earlier this month I located a website that was selling Ben van Lieshout's The Muse. I had only seen a brief clip of the film but it looked mysterious and gorgeous. I submitted a request for a copy of the DVD and within a day's time I received a follow up email. From Ben. Oh how I do so travel in such elite circles...

Anyway, I told him how I came to know of The Muse and four days later he had mailed it out from The Netherlands. I arrived home last night to find a little Happy Boxing Day treat in my mail slot. Woohoo! I was completely ecstatic. Sadly, I had to run down to my brother's place for a bit, but come 11pm, I was back home. I fired up the region 2 player, curled up under a half dozen blankets in my freezing cold apartment and hit play. Wow. This film was incredible. Subtle and beautiful. I absolutely felt throughout the picture that I was eavesdropping on the characters' lives. That I was following behind them and watching them in their everyday lives. I think I'll go home and rewatch it tonight and relive the experience all over again.

No comments: