Sunday, April 17, 2011

Coming Out

The best coming out story I have ever heard was from Fr. Michael. When he was fifteen Michael's mother was driving him home from karate class. Out of the silence Sheila said, "Michael. You're gay." Michael wasn't ready to admit it and maybe wasn't ready to even admit it to himself so he immediately told her,
"No, I'm not."
"Michael, you're gay."
"I'm not gay, Mom."
"Michael, I want you to just say it, say that you're gay."
"MOM! I'M NOT GAY!"
"MICHAEL YOU'RE GAY, SAY IT!"
"I'm not gay."
"Michael, you're gay!"
"Okay, Mom, I am gay."
"No you're not!!"
Sheila apparently wasn't quite as ready as she thought she would be. Michael was very nervous of his father's reaction because his father was not only a Marine, but a devout Catholic. Mike, Sr. asked Michael to go for a drive and the two of them went down to the lake to sit on the picnic bench and talk. Father and son sat looking out at the water and Mike said, "Son, I want you to know two things: I don't love you any less, and Michael, neither does God."

No comments: