Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Library

Once a week I run round the corner to my county's lending library. It's a very large three story building and the best part is that it has a super fun section for kids complete with an enormous rug filled with silly cartoon faces, a sofa and stuffed pals (Patrick Star is of course my favourite. Each time I see him I have to stop myself from waving to him and shouting "Hiya Patrick!") More recently they added The Corner. It's designed for teens and has bean bag chairs, diner booths, books for teenagers, and a row of desks with computers. Everything is in funky colours and is cool and youthful. It's the ideal hangout and totally makes The Peach Pit from 90210 look like a prison cell. In other words, it's fabulous.

Most days I don't get past the check out desk. I've made friends with some of the staff there, two in particular, Jack and Langston. I've never been a regular to any place, but it's such a nice surprise when the doors glide open and I see those two fellas look up to smile back at me. Tonight we were discussing Mo Willems Pigeon books (which I freakin' love!), men who shave their chests (I am against this practice), and my obsession with borrowing Little House on the Prairie (that show is severely addictive). Langston tries at least once a month to convince me to become a stand-up comic (I am so not funny in that way) and Jack and I usually discuss films (tonight was In the Loop, Whip It, and my fave tv show Arrested Development). It's only perhaps 45 minutes out of my week and yet more often than not, it's the highlight of my week.

No comments: