Friday, July 2, 2010

Sense

"If you go to the Buddhist Meditation Center, they make you taste each bite of your food so it takes two hours - it's horrible! - to eat your lunch. But you're conscious of the taste of your food. If you're just eating out of habit then you don't taste the food and you're not conscious of the reality of what's happening to you."

I never seem to tire of watching Wallace Shawn and André Gregory in My Dinner with André. Every time I discover new little bits that I'd missed before. Last night this particular piece of their conversation really struck me, because so often I find that I eat for all the wrong reasons. Rarely is it out of actual hunger and always is it to act as a comfort or sometimes just to kill time. I totally need to make a serious effort to taste and enjoy my food...starting with that spoonful of chocolate chip cookie dough I've got stashed away in the fridge.

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

Never hoid of that movie!

I never ever EVER eat because I'm hungry. It is absolutely just for the taste and for comfort and to kill time . . . and hopefully to kill me with a massive coronary from all this food I'm eatin'!

Star said...

well that's good, since none of your wishes seem to come true i can feel safe in the knowledge that you will never die from a massive coronary. so there! i win.