Wednesday, October 28, 2020

September 2020 Books

*Beloved ¹ by Toni Morrison - Another incredible story from Toni Morrison. This one I was grateful had a couple people be kind to the lead character. I really am on the fence with whether Sethe did the right thing by killing Beloved, to keep her from becoming a slave, sold, kidnapped away from her family, raped, beaten, tortured, and to live a half life filled with more pain than love, a life where you are not even recognised as a full human. Or is it no one's right to take a life, even if it is to be a life in an unimaginable Hell. Sethe acted in mercy to a child she loved, so there is no blame cast from me, but I wonder which is right?

Taking On The World ¹ by Ellen MacArthur - I have had this book since 2010 and I just knew I would never sit down and read it cover to cover, so I picked up the Audible audio book and just barely struggled through it. 

Across That Bridge ¹ by John Lewis - I knew very little about Congressman John Lewis prior to his death, so when this popped up as a suggestion in Audible I was intrigued. Sadly, it is not read by the author but it is read by Keith David. Score - I would listen to him recite the phone book. Lewis was an exceptional man and I am looking forward to seeking out more of his writings in the not-so-distant future.

♥ Pride and Prejudice ¹ by Jane Austen - Another knock-out performance from Rosamund Pike. I absolutely loved this book and wish that Ms. Pike read the entire Jane Austen catalogue. Just a fantastic book that was beautifully read by a talented and gifted woman. I will definitely listen to this again and again.

*Rebel ¹ by Nick Nolte - This was a really good memoir. The narrator had the sound of a young Nolte so often times I forgot it wasn't Nick reading to me. He was so honest about his life, his ups and downs and perspective on things. A purchase I do not regret.

♥ Fatal Charms and the Mansions of Limbo by Dominick Dunne - My love for Dominick Dunne grows with each piece I read. I've purchased all but two of his books and I plan on delving in to "People Like Us" very soon.

¹ - audiobook
² - abridged version
* - liked
♥ - loved
Any unmarked titles were, in my opinion, so-so.

No comments: