Friday, June 19, 2020

Abuela

So I have surpassed 900 days of studying Spanish (no days missed at all!) on Duolingo. I watch shows and films where there's Spanish being spoken and still can't catch but maybe one or two words and I feel like all my efforts have been for nothing. Then I read a post on Instagram that Natalia wrote in Spanish and was so thrilled that I pretty much got the gist of what she said before I hit the "See Translation" link. Here is the post:



This is what I thought it said:

My grandmother, Ángela. I have very few memories of her. I was only five years old when she passed. But the few memories that I have are ?lovely?: I sang to her, closing the door to her bedroom, something my brush something and using as a microphone and singing to her. ?Laying? on the bed with her and conversing many times (??) Also lunches together, only the two of us, my most vivid memory is tomato (??) soup day, I ?sat? on my green little chair and she looked across the table (??). In every (??) memory that I have she doesn't speak, only looks at me and something, like in this photo. ♥

This is the translation, which IG messed up the gender:


I didn't do too bad, did I?! Maybe one day I'll be able to take a night class at a local community college and learn to understand and speak this glorious language. Til then, I'll keep studying with Duolingo because the little owl makes me feel good about myself and the cast of characters that help me along the way lift my spirits.





No comments: