Wednesday, May 27, 2015

My Teenage Bedroom

Here is a glimpse into my bedroom in late 1995. Clearly my main loves were, and continue to be, music and film. The teenage Star was obsessed with Madonna, loved Al Pacino, rocked out to Melissa Etheridge and The Dead (Sidebar, that Grateful Dead poster was a gift from my father when I was about eight and was the first poster I ever had. I would lie in bed at night and stare at the winding path that vanished behind the mountain and the setting sun and wonder where that road led.) Oh, and that centerfold tear-out of Kurt Cobain still hangs above my pillow at my current home.


To the far left you will see a bit of Ikea furniture that I still have and to the far right, my great-uncle Tom O'Brien's gorgeous purple chair that I also still possess. The old turntable, speaker, and music cabinet strewn with stickers have since been taken to the city dump.

Just below the Depeche Mode poster is Snoopy in his railroad worker uniform clearly caught in the midst of a disco nap. (I wonder whatever became of that oversized brown pup with the black fluffy ears...maybe Ashlee has it...)

Anyway, this room reminds me of all the daydreams I had of who I would grow up to be and where I would go in life. But mostly, I remember blasting Barbra Streisand, lip syncing along and imagining that I was beautiful with perfect hair and a voice so extraordinary that it astonished all those that heard it.

No comments: