Monday, May 20, 2013

Best Distraction at Work

Tomorrow with Tom Snyder is my favourite thing to watch when I'm working from home. There are three interviews available on YouTube where Tom interviews Sterling Hayden, each one remarkable. I've seen them all countless times and I never tire of their conversation. Discussing everything from rail travel, Anwar Sadat's assassination, Tito's funeral, booze, the sea, writing, marijuana use, and all the way up to life's great regrets. Where are the men like Sterling Hayden? Young American men seem to completely lack dignity, nobility, grace, extraordinary kindness, and the ability to have meaningful conversations. That sounds so bitter, but listening to Sterling makes me feel that men like that no longer exist on this continent.

(photo kidnapped from mediafunhouse)

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

Naturally it was because of you that I first saw these interviews on youptupe but sadly I've only watched them once. It seems it's high time I watched them again! After all, Sterling is one of my favourite actors (he even makes something like Bette Davis' THE STAR watchable) and his autobiography is one of my favourite books. Now, if only I could remember who introduced me to THAT book. . . . .

Star said...

clearly it was someone unbelievably fabulous...