Thursday, December 8, 2011

Goals and Plans Over Dinner

André Gregory: Our minds are just focused on these goals and plans, which in themselves are not reality.

Wallace Shawn: No. Goals and plans are not reality. They're fantasy. They're part of a dream life. And you know, it always does seem so ridiculous, somehow, that everybody has to have his little goal in life. It's so absurd in a way. I mean, when you consider that it doesn't matter which one it is. I mean, I guess maybe it's satisfying to devote your life to trying to get money, or trying to create great works of art. I don't know. But when they're so interchangeable, somehow it seems sort of pathetic.

André: Yeah, it does.

from My Dinner with André by Louis Malle

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

Yeah, and so does eating quail. Those tiny little shits don't even fill up a cracker!!!

But awwww.....ain't you the one! Quoting MY DINNER WITH ANDRE!!! Have I told you lately that you are absolutely the perfect person! Don't you ever die!!!

(Sorry, I went from MY DINNER WITH ANDRE to quoting Truman Capote. Or is that Jay Presson Allen? Anyway it's from the play TRU which I love starring Robert Morse. Why ain't dat on dvd?!?!?! I boined it to dvd from my VHS I taped offa da telly in 1992. That's close. Gee, I wish I had some candy. . .

Anyway, you are the shiniest, fluffiest wonderful person i know! And I'll bet you a kosher pickle you won't turn on me afte 27 years, too.

Star said...

me? shiny AND fluffy. surely ye jest...