Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sound

A single sound can trigger a memory in an instant. Right this very moment I hear a train in the distance and I am transported back ten years. I'm sitting on the curb around the back of the shop out on Lancaster Ave with Carla. We are on a smoke break together and looking up at the night sky, at the twisted branches of the trees against the moonlight as the 9:10 roars past.
All these years later, that shop is gone. I've no idea whats become of Carla and I've given up smoking those Fantasia lights. But I still love the sound of a passing train.

2 comments:

emily rose said...

unless its a a regular running cargo train that passes by at 3:13am daily, startling you out of a slumber. miss that apt, but def not that train

Star said...

oh i hear that train all the time and i love it! but i'm also several miles from it, whereas you were not.